Monday, March 28, 2016

Weekend Wrap Up

I hope everyone has recovered from their Easter candy hangovers. I was fortunate that my mom didn't have a chance to buy candy due to my dad's health scare. So I did not have the opportunity to overindulge.

It was a busy weekend. On Saturday afternoon we went to the Sharks game. As part of their 25th Anniversary, they are having alumni days where they bring back a different retired player to honor them. They bring him out, do a little video of highlights, and have them drop the puck. This weekend was one of my favorite players, Douglas "Crankshaft" Murray. He was a defenseman who played for the Sharks from 2005 - 2012. He could lay a hit on you that would rattle your teeth.

Crankshaft
During every game, the Sharks do a "player profile" during one of the breaks in the action. They'll put up a video of a featured player - Saturday was Murray since it was his alumni day. Again, more video highlights and then they give out a signed jersey from that player to the fan in the "lucky seat." For the record, my husband has had these season tickets since they day the Sharks started playing at the newly built San Jose arena - so 23 of their 25 years in existence. I've been going to the games with him for at least 20 of those years and we have never won a single thing - not a jersey, not event tickets, not even free pizza which they used to give out. Finally after 23 years it was my husband's lucky day. He was the lucky seat! He won the signed Murray jersey. He was so shocked but so excited. I wish I realized what was happening because I would have loved to have gotten a picture of his face.

The autographed jersey
After the game we headed to my parents house for a pre-Easter get together with the family. We were all there and my dad seems to be doing really well after his health scare last week. He is tired and sleeps a lot, but the doctors say it's a normal part of the brain healing. We are all very grateful that he seems no worse for wear.

Since we had no plans for Easter yesterday, we decided it would be a good day to tackle the jungle that was our backyard. During four years of drought, it was a pretty simple project. Mow the lawn every once in a while and occasionally pull some weeds. Well we finally had a really wet winter, and things got out of control. We've been mowing the lawn in the backyard pretty regularly just so Emma could  do her business back there, but the side yard got totally out of control.

This is where we normally grow tomatoes. Dandelions, anyone?
We filled the entire large compost bin with weeds and lawn clippings. It was a major project but it looks so much better now. I'm so glad it's done.

And that's a wrap for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment