Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Bay Breeze 5k 2016 Version

Since my best race buddy moved away last year, I was having trouble finding the motivation to sign up for races. Don't get me wrong, race people are the nicest, most supportive group of people I've ever met. Nothing like getting up at the crack of dawn to use a porta-potty and sweat with a group of strangers to help build camaraderie! But it's even more fun when you know you're going to meet someone there to hang out with before and after.

So when my friend and former co-worker Katie reached out to me to see if I wanted to walk a 5k with her, I jumped at the chance! She even let me pick the race. So I chose the Brazen Racing Bay Breeze 5k. I love Brazen races - they are so well organized and have great shirts, medals, and post race food, plus all of their race photos are free!

It was so nice to have someone to walk and talk with. We haven't seen each other in over three years - after seeing each other every day for almost two years when we worked together! But we've both since moved on to other companies.

It was an incredibly foggy morning. But the temperature was perfect. If the fog had burned off we would have been too hot.

You can see the fog in this photo.
All smiles approaching the turnaround.
I have to admit, walking a 5k can get a little boring so it was really nice to have someone to talk to the entire time. And since we hadn't seen each other in so long, there was a lot of catching up to do! But even with all of the talking we kept a good pace - 16:17 per mile. Not too shabby for walkers.

Red octopus themed shirt for V-day and a huge medal!

It felt really good to get back out there in a race environment. Next up, the Hellyer 10k next month!






2 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun event, and being out there in the fog makes me homesick for the northern California coastline, big time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! We need to find a race half way between Oregon and the Bay Area ;)

    ReplyDelete