Wednesday, February 10, 2016

40 Days of Good Things

I consider myself a very lapsed Catholic. I attended 12 years of Catholic school - my high school was an all girls Catholic school. Being slightly rebellious, after I graduated high school and turned 18, I decided that I never needed to go to church again as long as I lived if I didn't feel like it. After all, with 12 years of Catholic school under my belt, I probably had enough "credits" that I didn't need to attend mass any longer.

I don't consider myself a very spiritual person, but I do sometimes pray. Mostly in times of need, but sometimes just a simple "Thank you, Jesus!" when something simple or silly goes my way - like finding a great parking spot during a rainstorm.

I went out today to get a couple of tacos for lunch only to discover that my local taqueria was closed for Ash Wednesday, and I was reminded that today was the start of Lent. From Wikipedia:

Lent (LatinQuadragesima - English: Fortieth) is a solemn religious observance in the liturgical calendar of many Christian denominations that begins on Ash Wednesday and covers a period of approximately six weeks before Easter Sunday. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer through prayerpenancerepentance of sins, almsgivingatonement and self-denial. This event, along with its pious customs, is observed by Christians in the AnglicanCalvinistLutheranMethodistRoman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions.

When I was a kid, Lent was a big deal. However, the focus was always on giving something up - I remember giving up bubble gum one year. That was hard at the time, but I was rewarded with a ton of bubble gum in my Easter basket.

Bubblicious was my favorite!

There are a few things that I was focusing on the last few months that I've let go a bit in the past few weeks - tracking my food, eating more veggies, drinking more water, and the big one - cutting out artificial sweeteners, which includes my beloved diet Pepsi. So I decided that since today is the first day of Lent, it would be a good day to refocus and get back on track. I like the idea of incorporating more positive - doing things that are good for me - vs. giving something up. And leading into spring, this seems like as good of a time as any.

So today will start my 40 days of doing good things for my body and my health.



No comments:

Post a Comment