Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Mermaid 5K

I did the Mermaid San Francisco 5k a few weeks ago. I've done this race nearly every year for probably 7 or 8 years now. One year I even did the 10k. It's become somewhat of a tradition among my friends. Some years we get a few more people than others, but there are a few of us who are "regulars."

The race started at 7:15 am the morning after Halloween. Let me just say that driving through San Francisco at 6:00 am the morning after Halloween was quite comical. I saw a number of people still in costume...some looked like they were still partying and others looked like they were doing the walk of shame.

I wasn't even going to do a race report as I really don't have anything to report. There's not much to say about a 5k - especially since I now walk instead of run. It's not like I'm going for a PR or anything. But after seeing the race photos, I had to buy this one - not because I think I look like anything special. What first caught my eye was how cool the bridge looked in the background with the fog burning off. Then I noticed the woman walking behind me and I knew I had to buy this photo.


A true representation of San Francisco.

In other news, I made it back to the pool for the first time in almost a month this morning. I have been really slacking on workouts since the start of October. This coincides with the start of the bathroom remodel project and hockey season. What seemed like a simple project that would take just a few weekends is now going on it's seventh weekend. It absolutely has to get done this weekend since we're hosing Thanksgiving next week.

I can't contribute my lack of workouts entirely to the bathroom project. We've also gone to six Sharks games this season already and it's only mid-November. I feel like I lose two days of workouts due to each hockey game - game day and the day after since I'm out way past my normal bedtime on those nights. And I think I was also wallowing in grief due to the loss of my friend, Vanessa.

But I'm feeling like I turned a corner and I'm ready to get back into a routine. I'm thinking of signing up for a couple of 5ks just to keep myself moving through the winter.

Most people find this time of year the crazy/busy season. But my husband & I always go way low-key for Christmas. Thanksgiving is the bigger holiday for us, so after next week I'll feel like I've got more time for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment