Monday, October 19, 2015

Swim Clinic

Let me start off by saying how much I love my gym. I've belonged to a number of gyms over the years, and I'd wind up cancelling my membership after a few months because I wasn't going for various reasons. Sometimes it was lack of motivation. Sometimes it was injury. With one gym it was due to very limited parking and having to get there an hour ahead of time to sign up for spin class. No thank you!

I joined my current gym in January of 2012. Not as one of the new year resolutioners, but because I needed a gym with a pool - and swimming instructors -  so I could learn to swim so I could eventually complete a triathlon. (Mission accomplished a few times over, by the way.)  This place fit the bill and more. They had only been open for a year so everything was so fresh and shiny and new and clean. The pools weren't new - yes, I said pools plural - as the gym is on a college campus. But they were updated when they decided to build the gym that is open to the public.  There is an olympic sized pool - 20 lanes short course during the week and 8 lanes long course on weekends. So awesome! And there is also a smaller 6 lane 4 foot instructional pool.

The olympic pool on a long course day.
Every semester they hold a few swimming clinics and this weekend was a freestyle clinic. It was about an hour of land instruction and videos, and then another hour in the pool doing drills. There were about 20 of us there so they split us into two groups so we could get more attention. It was really beneficial. I learned that I have a good kick, but I don't extend my arm enough as it enters the water. So basically, I've been giving away free speed. It was pretty amazing how much faster I felt like I was gliding through the water once I started doing it the right way.

We also did a lot of drills, so now I've got more things to practice when I swim instead of the same back and forth, back and forth. This clinic has really gotten me excited about swimming again. I can't wait to get back in the pool.


No comments:

Post a Comment