Thursday, April 30, 2015

Moraga Sprint Triathlon

I survived my first triathlon of the season on Saturday - and when I say survived, it felt like just barely at times!

I started out the day completely sleep deprived.  I even went to bed early the night before, fell asleep at a decent time, and then woke up after about an hour and tossed and turned for the rest of the night. If I'm lucky I think I had about four hours of sleep.  I actually woke up and as I was standing in my kitchen I seriously considered saying "F-ck it!" and going back to bed.

I left the house almost an hour later than I had planned and was so tired that when I was changing from one freeway to another I went the wrong direction. So after about fifteen minutes of driving west instead of east, I realized my mistake and turned around.

The only thing working for me at this point was the fact that it wasn't raining. It had rained hard during the night and was threatening to rain again, but at least I wasn't driving in the rain.  Even with my detour, I still made it there in plenty of time to pick up my packet, set up my transition, and hang out with Meredith and her family before we started.  Meredith and her husband were doing a relay (they took 3rd place!) and her daughter was doing the kids tri.

My bike and running shoes in ziploc bags - in case the rain started again.
So, the swim.  This race was my first ever triathlon two years ago. At the time I had been swimming for less than a year and 400 meters seemed like a really long time to be swimming. This time I was sad it was over so quickly!  I beat my previous swim time on this course by 2:08.  Super excited about that!

Then it was on to the bike. I knew this bike course was a little hilly and I thought I was prepared.  But when I got out there it was nothing but a big sufferfest. I don't know if it was the lack of sleep, poor nutrition, not being as prepared as I thought, or the fact that the roads were wet so I was nervous - but I felt like this ride would never end. And it showed in my results. I was eight minutes slower than the last time I did this race.

But it was over and I made it through safely - which was my biggest concern leading up to this event due to the weather. When I got back to transition I honestly didn't want to continue but I didn't let myself think about it and just put on my shoes and headed out.  I knew this leg would be slower than last time because back then I was running and now I'm a walker. Another hilly leg - up then down, then up again, then down again, and finally up and around the track.  Even though I'm not really a runner any longer due to my hip, you can't help but run when it's downhill!  So I was pleased with my walk/run time even though it was slower than last time.



Looking back, this wasn't my my best outing. They can't all be an improvement over the last race - I get that. And I'm sure the lack of sleep and nerves about the wet roads didn't help. But I can't help feeling disappointed - mainly because I know I can do better. And if I think about it honestly I didn't prepare as well as I should have. I really should have spent more time on the bike outside instead of at spin class.

But I can also say that I did the best that I could have on that particular day - in spite of the lack of sleep, the wet roads, and under-training. I could have gone with my first instinct and gone back to bed that morning. Or I could have not signed up at all. But I didn't. I went out and gave it everything I had THAT DAY. And it makes me want to do it again soon!

2 comments:

  1. That's a HUGE swim PR! You should be really proud of yourself. This is not only a really difficult course but it's an early season race. In triathlon it's so hard to make improvements in all three disciplines. You've worked really hard on your swim and it showed in your time! Scott's bike was also slower than last year, so the wet roads affected how everyone rode the course.

    Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it was a rough race, but completely impressed that you pushed through. Two minutes off your swim is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete