Monday, March 2, 2015

Winner, Winner. Chicken Dinner!

You might remember that in 2013 I was chosen to be a See Jane Run Ambassador.  See Jane Run is a local chain of running stores that focuses on women's running shoes and clothing.  They also put on a couple of local running races (5k & half marathon) and a triathlon. I've done the 5k twice, the duathalon once or twice, and the triathlon the past two years.

When I was an ambassador, I started following the blogs of a few of the other ambassadors and still do follow a few of them.  Last week, one of them was holding a contest for a free race entry to any of the See Jane Run events for this year.

I decided to enter and I found out yesterday that I won!  Woohoo for free race entries!

But now, I need to decide what I want to do.  I've seriously considered walking a half marathon this year.  I've made peace with the fact that I can no longer run, but I always liked the challenge of the half marathon distance - in spite of all of the bitching I did during training! And I'd like to give it a shot with strictly walking.  However, I figured if I did one it would be in the late summer or fall, and this one is in June.  But a free entry makes it hard to pass up.

On the other hand, I've done the See Jane Run triathlon the past two years.  I'm familiar with the course, and I've always enjoyed it.  But it's in September, which is when I thought I'd be in training for a half marathon.  But again, free entry...how can I resist?

There is also the wildcard of my hip to consider.  Could my hip stand up to the demands of training for and completing a half marathon - even if I'm just walking?

So for now, I think I'm going to focus on training for the races that I've already mentally committed to, including a 10k in early May.  There are six weeks between the 10k and the half marathon, which would put me on a perfect half marathon training schedule.  I can see how I feel after that 10k and decide then.

And for now I'm just going to enjoy the fact that I won a free race entry - and I'll go buy a lottery ticket to see if this luck continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment