Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Philadelphia Freedom!

You know I love, love, love you!  Yes, I'm channeling Elton John.  I just got back from a trip to Philly - my hometown - and I'm still feeling the love.

The grade school I attended - and my mom before me - has since closed, but they were having an all class reunion as a fundraiser to make some necessary repairs to the church.  So I decided to go back and have a girls weekend with my friends.

All of us at the reunion.
I think the last time I was in Philly was 2007.  All of my friends have kids, and I think most of them were in the newborn to toddler stage back then so it was much harder for us to spend a lot of time all together on that trip.  But now those kids are much more self sufficient and in school all day, so I got much more quality time with my friends on this trip.

We went straight from the airport to my favorite Italian restaurant in South Philly.

Full and happy.
The next day we planned on doing some sight seeing.  However, we didn't plan on it snowing so much in March.  After getting tired of hopping in and out of the car in the snow, we decided to go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art so we could be inside for a few hours.  I hadn't been there in years.  It was quite a different experience going as an adult than being forced to go on a school field trip as a kid - although without the nuns to keep us in line, we were probably not as well behaved this time around!  One friend who shall remain nameless kept insisting on touching everything in spite of the signs that said DO NOT TOUCH - and we might have almost been asked to leave.  But we got out of there without anyone getting arrested, and we may have gotten a little bit of culture in spite of ourselves.

You can't go to the art museum and not get your picture with Rocky. 
On Saturday I visited with my godparents during the day, and went to the reunion that night.  I saw so many people who I hadn't seen in years.  It was a great time!  Sunday was brunch with the girls again before heading to the airport for the long trip home.

I am still exhausted but it was well worth it.  I always laugh so much when we're together. There is something about having such a history with people that each time I see them the months and years apart just melt away.  We talk and laugh about old times while making new memories.

City skyline.

We've already decided where we're going next year.  Vegas baby!  I can't wait to see my girls again.

1 comment: