Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Coyote Hills 5k Race Report

What better way to get my mind back into the swing of working out than to sign up for a 5k. When Meredith suggested this one, I thought why not? I'd done it before - twice - so I knew what to expect. And I thought a race would help get my focus back.

It was a beautiful morning, but cold when I arrived.  The race was a trail race through a park, so they had us park at a nearby office complex where they had shuttles to take us to/from the park.  Bonus - the building at the office complex was open which meant real bathrooms!  (It's the little things that get runners/triathletes excited.)

I got there with plenty of time to find Meredith, pick up my bib/packet, and drop my stuff off at the bag check.  There was a half marathon, a 10k, and a 5k. I love the Brazen races because there are people of all ages and abilities out there.

This is my life now.
It was a pretty uneventful race, except for the fact that I felt like I was flying.  Seriously, I didn't run a single step the first mile and finished it in 16:12 - blazing fast walking pace for me.  And the next two miles were even faster - 16:03 and 15:19 - although I did start running the downhills in these two miles.


At the bottom of the downhill at mile 3 - heading to the finish.
The course was actually 3.5 miles vs. the typical 3.1 of a 5k since it was on a trail.  I finished with a time of 55:10 and was really pleased with my time since I had planned on walking the entire thing. It was such a beautiful day and I really enjoyed myself.  I think I may have caught the racing bug again - just in time for tri season.


Crossing the finish.
I'm also really happy with how my hip held up.  I wasn't in pain the following day like I expected to be - just a little stiff like I had a good hard workout.  That makes me feel like I can actually start making plans for this year.  In fact, I'm thinking of doing a 10k this spring and maybe a fall half marathon.  I'm not sure what my next race will be, but after this weekend I'm sure I'll be signing up for something in the very near future.

2 comments:

  1. Great job! The picture coming down the hill is so cool...you should frame it :)

    ReplyDelete