Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Shifting Focus

Today I met with the surgeon who performed my hip surgery five years ago.  I won't go into too much detail about what he said, but my options are basically surgery or suck-it-up.  For now I'm going with the suck-it-up option.  I'm just not in the right place right now - mentally or financially - to undergo surgery which will have me out of work for at least 1-2 months.  (Right leg = no driving.)  And I can't imagine an entire summer without golf!

However, he did say that by losing weight, lifting weights, and doing low-impact cardio (like, not running!) I could extend the time before surgery would become inevitable.  So in my mind, what I heard him say is that if I lose weight, I can run.

For now...
So I'm making a deal with myself.  I need to make a serious effort about losing weight and getting stronger.  No more half-assed efforts about it.  No more candy stash in my desk drawer.  No more buying ice cream every weekend.  No more saying, I'll lift weights tomorrow.  No more signing up for 5ks unless I honestly intend to walk them and not run them.  I need to exercise moderation in my diet and I need to exercise laser focus with my strength training.  If I can shed a substantial amount of weight (number to be determined entirely by me!), I will let myself get back to running.  But for now I'm going to stick to walking - and for now, today, at this moment, I'm OK with that.

But what I can still do is swim.  And I can still bike.  And I can still walk.  Which means, I can still do triathlons!   So this season I'm going to stick with the ladies' events like Mermaid and See Jane Run because they seem less competitive and there are plenty of other walkers at these events.  I'm going to work hard on my swimming and biking.  And I will walk the run.  So I guess it's time to get serious about training for my first triathlon of the season.  June is right around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment