Monday, April 14, 2014

Gettin' It Done - Sort Of

One advantage to walking instead of running - I can get those workouts in at lunchtime.  I wouldn't dream of going for a run at lunchtime.  I'd have to get totally changed, drive somewhere to run (my work neighborhood isn't the greatest between safety issues and the traffic), cool down and stretch, and get back to work and changed all in about an hour.  Then I'd probably spend the rest of the day feeling sweaty and gross.  But with walking, no problem!  I just change into my running shoes and I'm good to go.   I don't get nearly as sweaty and it takes much less time to cool down and stretch after a walk.

This is what my hip says to me.

Because of this, I was able to get in 2 swims, 2 bikes, and 2 walks last week - even with a Sharks game on Friday night, plans with my parents on Saturday, and a birthday party for a friend on Sunday afternoon.

I know it shouldn't be that hard to get in all of my training workouts considering how short in duration they are at this point.  But I haven't been able to get myself out of bed for morning workouts ever since we changed the clocks last month.  So during the week if anything comes up in the evenings (like a hockey game!) or if I want to play golf on the weekend, I've got to either juggle my schedule, double up on some evenings, or - GASP! - skip a workout.

I'm having a really hard time getting my head in the game this year.  I thought by this time my hip issue would be sorted out but it isn't.  And that leaves me reluctant to sign up for races.

The drought hasn't helped my motivation either. You would think I'd be thrilled that I don't have to deal with rain when I want to go out and swim/bike/walk.  But I still don't know where the Catfish swim is going to be held this year, and because of that I haven't trained for it.

I'm trying to turn things around.  I really am!  I know how good I feel when I get it all done, and I know how much better race day will go if I'm prepared.  So I'm just going to build on last week's success and juggle the schedule in a way that will give me the best chance of success to get it all done this week, too.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on scheduling. I keep trying to convince myself to be a morning person, but it's not working. And by the time it gets to the evening, something always comes up! I'm hitting most of my workouts, but not as many as I should be. I guess that's just life? Well done on getting them in last week though!

    ReplyDelete