Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Trying New Things

By the end of triathlon season last year I was feeling like I was in a rut.  Swim.bike.run started feeling a little stale.  So I did next to nothing.  Which is not good.

So in an effort to keep things fresh this year, I am going to make an effort to try something new each month.  For the most part it will be trying different classes at my gym.  But every once in a while, a Groupon deal comes along that I just can't pass up.  A local fitness center was offering 10 group classes at a highly discounted rate.   Now since I've already got a gym membership, why would I need to buy more group fitness classes?

Because this is one of the classes, with the class description taken directly from their website:  "Spin/TRX This one hour class is divided between body suspension training with the TRX system and a blast of cardio on our spin bikes."  Sounds great, right?  I figured I could get in some strength training along with my beloved spin class.  And they promised small class sizes.  And after I used up the 10 sessions, I could use what I learned on the TRX to practice on my own.



So last Wednesday night I went to the class which included four other ladies, and it went something like this:  15 minutes on the spin bike with a warm up and a few intervals.  Then we moved to the floor, where we did some circuits.   I think the first circuit was 30 seconds of bicycles, a 30 second plank, and 30 seconds of mountain climbers followed by 30 seconds of rest.  Then repeat this circuit two more times.  This was followed by two more circuits of exercises which included things like burpees, side planks, leg lifts.  Another circuit of kettlebell swings, and then we were back on the bikes for another 10 minutes or so of spinning.  Then back to the floor for a stretch and we were done.

It was a great workout.  I was dripping sweat.  But, did you notice anything missing from my recap of the class above?  No TRX!  We never even touched it.  I kept waiting and waiting for the part when we were going to use the TRX and it never happened.  I know they had them.  There were at least two hanging from the ceiling and hooks for more.  So I'm not really sure what that was about.

So the question is, will I go back?  Absolutely!  This was the best workout I've had in a long time.  I used muscles I rarely use, and was sore for days afterwards.  But it just goes to show you that you don't always get what you pay for!

Next up at this same facility for tomorrow:  "Group WeightliftingWe like to call this medium group personal training. We use the same general program design for our group weightlifting classes that we do for our individual programs. You will be guided through dynamic workouts that are meant to keep your mind engaged and your body from hitting plateaus. Even though this is a group format we like to keep the classes small enabling us to provide excellent individual coaching and the ability to alter workouts based on your individual needs."

I wonder if they'll break out the TRX for tomorrow's class.


No comments:

Post a Comment