Monday, February 24, 2014

Hello, Old Friend

Since the flat tire disaster at the See Jane Run Triathlon in October, I have ridden my bike exactly one time for a grand total of less than 30 minutes.  I spent so much time in the weeks after the tri dealing with the tire - shopping for new ones but deciding against them when the guy at the bike shop couldn't get them on my rims, ordering new levers, practicing changing my tire which left me frustrated because I couldn't get it back on after an entire afternoon of trying.  I had a bike tire sitting in my living room for about a week, and every day both my husband and I would try to get it back on the rim with no luck.  He eventually got it back on but I was left feeling a little pissed off at my bike, and not wanting to ride for fear of being stranded with a flat far from home.

I've been going to spin class once or twice a week since then, but if I'm going to do any triathlons this summer I'm going to actually have to ride my bike at some point.  Waiting until race day is probably not a good idea.

So with the sun shining and temperatures in the 60s, I decided yesterday would be the day.  I dug out my cycling capris, dusted of my helmet, and pumped up my tires.  I then told my husband to keep his cell phone handy in case I needed him to come pick me up somewhere if I got a flat!  All bases were covered.

I headed out to the trail and just started going.  I told myself that in the entire time I've had my bike, I've only ever had two flat tires so the odds were pretty good I would not get one today.  It was the perfect day for a ride - sunny, not too much wind.  And I was so happy!  It was like getting together with an old friend you haven't seen in a long time.




And with daylight saving time less than two weeks away, I see some post-work bike rides in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment