Friday, January 3, 2014

How I'll Budget My 2014 Races

2013 was the year of the triathlon for me.  I was so focused on learning to swim, becoming a better cyclist, and towards the end of the year healing from injury.  I feel like I didn't do very many races last year.

I'd like to do some kind of event every month in 2014.  However, this could become quite expensive.  With entry fees running anywhere from $35 for a 5K up to nearly $100 for a sprint triathlon, I could wind up in the poor house signing up for events.

So I've had to come up with a strategy to pay for his little race habit of mine.  Since many of the events I do are put on by the same event organizers - like the Mermaid Series or Brazen Racing - 2014 is going to be the year I finally start volunteering at events.

I've been telling myself I'm going to volunteer for a few year, but it just hasn't happened yet and I'm not really sure why.  But I do think it's important to give back to the sport.  Without the volunteers, these races absolutely could not happen.  They man the tables at packet pick-up, they set up the water stations, they work the gear check areas, and so much more.

So I'm revising my goal to participate in at least one event every month - and that means either racing or volunteering.  And with that, I think my plans for 2014 are finally starting to come together.





1 comment: