Monday, November 4, 2013

Fear

I've been taking a Swimming for Fitness class at my gym for the past couple of months.

"This class is intended to prepare you for Masters or general lap swimming. This class will focus on building your endurance through freestyle training. We will also practice the fundamentals of the other strokes- backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly."

And while I didn't learn butterfly (thankfully!), I now have a half decent backstroke and something that resembles a breaststroke.  The thing is, I went into this class with the intention of moving from this into Masters.  And, well, tomorrow is the last class.

So that means next week I should sign up for the Masters program.  Only now I'm shitting bricks about actually doing it.  I had hoped that there would be others in my class and we could move on together so I wouldn't be the only "new kid."  But only one other guy signed up for the current class and his attendance was sporadic.

My instructor has been telling me for weeks that I'm ready to start Masters, but when I asked him if I'm going to die when I start his response was, "Absolutely."  The workouts are longer than I'm used to and I am still so slow.  So this is exactly what I need, but I'm still afraid to give it a shot.

This is what I imagine I look like swimming.

This is what I want to look like swimming.

The other fear I need to face is running.  I have not run since August due to my hip injury.  I finally got a fluoroscopic cortisone injection in my hip joint over two weeks ago and it has knocked out about 90% of my pain.  I keep telling myself that I've been too busy to run due to swimming, spinning, golf, and Sharks games, and for the most part it's true.  But I could easily swap out a spin class for a run, especially since I'm not training for anything right now.  My doctor told me that I could resume my normal activities a week after the shot.  In fact, he encouraged it so we could see if it worked. But I'm just so happy to be virtually pain free, and I'm afraid that if I try running again I'm going to be disappointed if the pain comes back.

This is making planning for next year incredible difficult.  I have dreams of a half marathon and maybe moving up to an Olympic distance triathlon, but I feel like I can't make any plans until I know if I'm going to be able to run.

I think I need a swift kick in the ass to get out of my own head and just do it - both the Masters program and the running.



1 comment:

  1. Take the leap and sign up for masters. When I first started I couldn't get through the entire workout, no big deal. Just show up and swim what you can! Today coach said he needed to make the workouts longer because I was finishing in under an hour :) Just do it!

    While your at it go for a nice easy 2 mile run and see how it feels.

    When I see you on Sunday I will give you a nice big high five for doing all of the above !

    ReplyDelete