Sunday, September 1, 2013

See Jane Run Race Entry Raffle

I was never a swimmer as a kid.  In fact, I don't think I knew anyone who was.  I guess that's just not something the city kids in Philadelphia did when I was growing up.  Oh sure, we'd go to the pool at the public rec center, "The Rec", and splash around on hot days.  My family even belonged to a swim club when I was growing up.  But my skills were limited to if you pushed me into the pool I won't drown, but don't ask me to swim a lap of any recognized stroke.

Mermaid Lake Swim Club
When I injured my hip in 2008 I decided to join the local YMCA so I could swim instead of running.  Let's just say that that was a very humbling experience.  I don't know why I thought I could just buy a swimsuit, get in the pool, and start swimming laps even though I'd never done it in my entire life.  I think I spent more time doing water jogging than swimming.  And once I recovered from my injury and was able to get back to more land based activities, swimming fell by the wayside.

Over the past few years I've done a number of duathlons to change things up from strictly running and to get some cross training.  I always enjoyed the multisport experience, so I decided maybe it was time to literally take the plunge and really learn how to swim.

I started with some group swim lessons.  While they may have helped with the technique, I still didn't feel like I "got it" when the session ended.  I kept going to the pool and trying to apply what I had learned, but I still could not swim one length of the pool.  So for my birthday last September, I told my husband that I wanted private swim lessons and he bought me a set of five half hour sessions.

It took a lot of work and some persistence on my part, but all of a sudden one night while I was swimming something just clicked.  I felt like I "got it", and now  I regularly swim over 1000 yards every time I go to the pool.  I am amazed and proud all at the same time.

I have really fallen in love with swimming, and I've since completed three triathlons and am doing my fourth in a few weeks.  And here is your chance to win a free entry to that triathlon to do it along with me.



I am giving a way one free entry to the See Jane Run Triathlon on October 5 in Pleasanton.  All you have to do to enter is comment on this blog post telling me that you want to Tri...or that you want to Du.  That's right!  Even if you can't swim, you can still participate in the Duathlon - Run/Bike/Run.  And if you share this post on Twitter and leave another comment telling me you did so, I'll give you a second chance to win.  It's that simple.

It's a great event and a great atmosphere.  Why not join me?  What have you got to lose?  The winner will be chosen next Sunday, September 8 so please enter by September 7.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I'm already racing with you, but I'll share on twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try a tri! See what I did there? :)
    It's on my try-to-do a tri list and I would love to join with someone or a group of someones that actually know what they are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shared on twitter as well! Btw - I moved here two years ago from PA. What a coincidence!

      Delete