Monday, August 19, 2013

Tri for Fun Race Report

The name doesn't lie - it was fun!  I signed up for this event purely as practice.  Since this race is at the same location as the See Jane Run Triathlon in October, I thought this would be a good opportunity to test out my skills on the course.

There was no advance packet pick up, so I got there at 5:30 just as check-in was opening.

It was early but at least the lake looked calm.
I checked in, went back to the car to grab my gear, and got a great spot in transition - first row near the bike in and out.  When I checked in I found out I was in the last wave - women 40 and over and kids 16 and under.  My initial thought was, "Great.  Now I get to be smoked by children on the swim!"  But I quickly pushed that thought out of my head.  I spent the entire previous day telling myself that I was finally going to have a good swim.  Negative thoughts, be gone!

The lake in the sunlight.  Still calm - both me and the lake!

With plenty of time before the pre-race briefing on the beach, I decided to take advantage of the fact that I could get in the lake and warm up for the swim.  I wasn't able to do this at either of my previous triathlons, and I wish I could have.  The water was so warm, I could have done without a wetsuit.  But I wasn't giving up the extra buoyancy!

It was finally time for my wave to head out.  It was a beach start, so I lined up in the back and towards the outside right since we'd be swimming out and turning left.  They gave us the go and we all moved forward.  It took a while for everyone to start swimming because it wasn't deep enough.  Once I did start swimming, my arms were going through the underwater plants with each stroke.  Luckily I was warned about this ahead of time so it didn't bother me at all.  In fact, nothing bothered me!  I swam, I sighted, I got kicked, I went a little off course but noticed before I got too far, I was going stroke for stroke with another swimmer for a while until she went off course and bumped me, I even passed a few other swimmers.  And it was amazing!  For the first time, I was totally comfortable in the open water.  After the final turn towards shore, I could see all of the cool stuff on the bottom of the lake and I didn't want the swim to end.  I'm not saying I was fast by any stretch of the imagination, but it was comfortable and fun and a real boost to my confidence.

On to the bike, straight uphill out of the gate.  Luckily I was prepared and had my bike in the right gear.  Since I'd done the See Jane Run Duathlon here last year, I was familiar with the bike course.  It's mostly flat with only the hill out of transition and one other uphill.  I remembered to eat and drink on the ride so I wouldn't bonk on the run.  I was really pushing it on the bike and passed quite a few people.  And before I knew it I was back at transition.

Change the shoes, swap out bike helmet for visor and GO!  Only my legs and my heart rate were saying NO!  It took a few minutes for my heart rate to settle to a pace where I actually could run, so it was a few minutes of walking at the start.  Once I got to the top of the first hill, I started in with my run/walk intervals.  The course was mostly on a dirt trail with lots of ups and downs.  So I walked the ups, ran the downs, and tried to run most of the flats.  The course was a crazy figure eight pattern and by the second mile I really just wanted it to be over.  I finally got to the point where we were off the trail and I was so happy to be running on asphalt again.  Strange, I know!  A short sprint to the finish line, and my third triathlon was over.

This was an un-timed event, but there was a clock at the finish.  Our wave was told that if we wanted to know our time to subtract 15 minutes from the clock time.  So I came in at approximately 1:50:xx - about six minutes faster than my time at the Mermaid Tri.

I went into this telling myself that it was practice and it was all for fun, but of course my competitive side was happy that I beat the time of my last tri.  I also learned a few things that will help with the remainder of my training for my race in October.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like great practice and a huge confidence boost! - Myla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had so much fun! I hope we have as much fun in October!

    ReplyDelete