Monday, July 1, 2013

Sharks Fitness Faceoff Bike Ride

Yesterday my friend Sara & I participated in the inaugural San Jose Sharks Fitness Faceoff.  This was an event put on by the Sharks Foundation.  The Sharks Foundation was started by the San Jose Sharks as a way to give back to the community.

"The Sharks Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the lives of youth and families in our community with an emphasis in the areas of Education, Health and Safety, and Character Development. The Sharks Foundation supplies emergency aid when appropriate, executes unique and relevant programming, supports the advancement of youth hockey and provides financial support and resources to organizations that enrich the lives of those in need."

The Fitness Faceoff consisted of a 5k run, a 10k run, a 21 mile bike ride, or a 53 mile bike ride.  Sara and I chose the 21 mile bike ride.

Getting a head chomp from Sharkie.
It was rumored that my all time favorite Shark and the best Sharks Captain in the team's history was going to be there.  Owen Nolan was supposed to be riding the 53 mile route, but that was a little too long and steep of a ride for my legs.  But I was still hoping to get to see him.

Badass hockey player!
We were counted down by Dan Rusanowski - the Sharks radio play-by-play announcer - and then we were off.  
Sara & I ready to roll.

We stopped at the rest stop at mile 9 because it was damn hot out and we wanted to refill our water bottles.  And we were lucky to fall in with this bike when we started out again.

Sharks bicycle
This couple was riding at our pace - party pace! - and had a radio on their bike, so we had tunes for the second half of the ride.  

It was fun day event, even if it was blazing hot at 8:00 in the morning.  And for a first time event, they did a great job - very well organized, plenty of water and snacks at the rest stop and at the finish.  I would consider doing it again - maybe next year I'll be ready to tackle the 50 mile ride.  But best of all, they had the best finishers medal I've ever received.

Coolest medal ever!
Oh, and it turns out I did manage to run into Owen Nolan after all so of course I had to get a picture with him. 

Me and my hockey hero.






No comments:

Post a Comment