Thursday, July 11, 2013

Crossfit and Tri Training

I came across an Amazon Local offer yesterday that I just could not refuse -  six Crossfit Fundamentals classes for $39.  For anyone unfamiliar with Crossfit, the best way I can describe it is a combination of weightlifting, gymnastics, and cardio conditioning.  From what I've seen, it looks pretty intense - so intense that you have to take the Fundamentals classes before they will even let you participate in the regular workouts.



I've always wanted to try it, so when this deal showed up in my mailbox I couldn't pass it up.  When signing up, they offered session dates and you could choose when you wanted to attend.  I knew that if I put it off, there would always be something else going on that would seem more important than cashing in my coupon so I went ahead and booked my sessions starting on August 12.

Since my training plan for the See Jane Run Triathlon in October starts tomorrow (already?), I'm going to tie my Crossfit sessions into my training.  Whenever I am training for an endurance event - whether a half marathon, a duathlon, or a tri - my strength training always seems to go out the window.  I really don't want that to happen for this event.  I know I'll have a much better race if I'm stronger, and my wonky hip will be happier if I'm stronger.

In the weeks since the Mermaid Tri, I've gotten back to formal strength training sessions on a more regular basis.  So now I've just got to continue with it throughout the tri training.  And I think these Crossfit sessions just might be the added motivation I need.  I don't want to show up and be the girl who couldn't do any of the exercises, so I'm going to work on getting stronger so I can get stronger.  Nothing like the fear of public humiliation as a motivator!

No comments:

Post a Comment