Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I am a Tapering Disaster

Taper week...short workouts...lots of rest...eating healthy...FAIL!  I am officially a tapering mess this week.

On Monday, while trying to adjust my new desk chair at work I stood up and bent over the chair to try to read the various levers.  I found the one I wanted, pushed it, and the chair back sprang forward and smacked me right in the side of the head.  Ouch!

Later that same day, as I was coming down a flight of stairs I twisted my ankle on the bottom step and wrenched my knee.  Instead of spin class on Monday night, I spent the evening on the couch with an ice pack on my knee.  Thankfully all was fine the next day, but it put quite a scare in me.

This Mermaid Triathlon has turned into a bit more than I expected.  I had signed up for the Mermaid Duathlon three years ago - long before I ever had dreams of learning to swim.  Unfortunately, the day before the race I had to say good-bye to my best friend, my dog Zack.  I was such a physical and emotional wreck that I didn't race.

My sweet Zack.  This is my favorite picture of him.
Zack was a year and a half old when we got him and he lived a very full life until the age of 14 1/2.  Pretty old for a medium sized dog!  He was my first dog, and I'm so lucky that I got to share every day with him for 13 years.  But today being the anniversary of the day we had to say good-bye, and the memories of a Mermaid Duathlon that never happened for me three years ago - needless to say, I've been a bit of an emotional mess the past two days.

But I need to turn things around.  There is still time.  I did manage a short 20 minute swim last night.  I'm going to do a quick bike spin tonight - although I should run since it's National Running Day.  (Who decides these things anyway?)


Tomorrow morning I will go for a quick run in the morning because I'm going to packet pick-up tomorrow evening.  I will sleep in the spare bedroom if I have to tonight in order to get good sleep.  I will eat healthier for the next couple of days.  And when I cross that finish line on Sunday morning, it will be worth the madness and sadness of this week!


1 comment:

  1. :( Sorry it's been such a tough week. We're just going to go out and have fun on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete