Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Swimming Like It's My Job

Um...did I mention that I signed up for another triathlon?  Well, I did.  It's the Mermaid Triathlon next month and it involves a 400 meter swim in the bay.  That's right...I'm going to swim in the San Francisco Bay - extremely cold water with fishes and seaweed and hopefully no sharks.

There is also a 12 mile bike ride and a 2.5 mile run.  Rumor has it that this course is completely flat, so that will be a nice change of pace from Moraga.

But back to the swimming...I told myself that if I was going to sign up for the Mermaid Tri, I had to swim like it's my job between now and June so I would feel confident about it.  So of course, I needed a plan.  And god bless the interwebs because there is a plan for everything including a swimming plan made just for little old me!

Zero to 1650 is a program that will take you from swimming 700 yards in one session to swimming a mile in six weeks.  (There is even a program that will get you to 700 yards if you haven't yet mastered that distance.)

Let me tell you, I can't get over what a difference this plan is making.  First of all, it's nice to go the pool with an actual plan instead of my usual "I should swim x yards today."  Going back and forth with no clear goal was getting boring, and when I get bored I tend to cut it short.  Now I arrive and know exactly what I'm going to do.  All of the sets are completely manageable for someone with my limited ability and endurance.  And dare I say it, I'm starting to fall in love with swimming!  I'm not saying I'm getting any faster, but my endurance is increasing at a good rate which is making it much more fun.

I need this swim cap!


I can't say enough good things about this program for someone who is new to swimming but wants a progressive way to gain endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment