Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Back to Work

After completing my first triathlon, I gave myself a week to do pretty much whatever I wanted as far as exercise. I took a couple of recovery days.  Swam a couple of times.  (It helped that it was 90 degrees last week.) Instead of going for a run, I did sprints one day.  I took a couple more recovery days.  You get the picture.  I always enjoy the week after an event when I don't feel like I have to do a certain workout on a particular day.  Although if I don't sign up for events on a regular basis, I can easily fall into the habit of doing nothing.

But as of Monday, I'm back on track and feeling strong.  I had a fantastic swim on Monday night and another one tonight.  I went for a short run last night and followed it up with some strength training.  My friend talked me into doing an ab challenge for the month of May, which is something I really need.  I think my core strength is non-existent.

Hoping to build abs of steel underneath the extra padding.
I even feel like I've been eating well this week.  This has always been my biggest challenge, especially since my husband stopped eating meat as he is the cook in the family.  I had to resort to having him teach me how to BBQ chicken. 

I'm trying hard not to focus too much on the scale and focus more on getting strong.  I'd like to be able to toe the line at the See Jane Run Triathlon in October weighing quite a few pounds less - after all, it will make getting up the hills easier.  But more importantly, I want to be stronger.

I'm at the point where I'm not worried about covering the miles.  I know I can swim the distance, run the distance, bike the distance.  I've already biked and run the course at the duathlon last year.  It would be nice to do it faster this year.  And I think if I focus on getting stronger, the speed will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment