Monday, April 22, 2013

Taper Randomness

OK...let's just start with one thing.  Holy crap, I can't believe I am tapering this week for my first triathlon on Saturday!  That really came up fast.

I've been busy with training and just life in general, but here are a few random tidbits since I've got a little extra time this week.
  • I had a minor swimming breakthrough on Friday night that has given me some much needed confidence heading into my triathlon on Saturday.  I credit it to the Mermaid swim clinic that I attended a few weeks ago that felt like such a disaster at the time.  What it boils down to is this.  If I need to breathe, then just breathe!  Don't worry about breathing on every third or fourth or whatever arbitrary stroke I've decided on.  Air is important!
  • Swimming is doing wonders for my golf game.  Seriously!  I guess I am actually building up some upper body strength with all of this swimming.  I haven't played golf much recently but on Saturday I was smacking the snot out of the ball.  Like OMG did I really just drive the ball 180 yards?!?!  Awesome.  This alone is reason enough for me to continue swimming.
  • I have a brand new pair of running shoes that I will be wearing for my tri on Saturday.  I know this is a big no-no.  Don't try anything new on race day.  But these are the same style of shoes that I've been wearing since I started running, and I've got one short run scheduled for tomorrow to make sure there are no issues. 
The new kicks - reflective!

  • I wore my tri-suit on my bike ride yesterday just to make sure it would be good for racing in.  ^^See "Don't try anything new on race day" rule from above.  Loved it!  I swear it was the most comfortable thing I've ever worn in my life.  Crazy, right?  I'll wear it again tomorrow on my run, too, just to see if there are any spots that might chafe while running.
  • I haven't even completed my first triathlon and I've already signed up for another one in October.  Hey, I had a discount code and I'm a sucker for a bargain.  And if Saturday turns out to be a disaster - and I'm sure it won't! - then I've still got over five months to work things out.
Other than that, so far I'm feeling calm about the entire thing.  I hope I can carry this relaxed attitude with me throughout the rest of the week.

1 comment:

  1. My new shoes are purple and yellow also :) Can't wait to see you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete