Monday, March 25, 2013

Weekend Turnaround

I had such grand plans for Saturday morning.  The tri club was having an open water swim just about a mile from my house.  I was excited to get back in my wetsuit and into the water.  And then, Spring hit me upside the head with some major allergies.

I kept waking up Friday night/Saturday morning coughing .  I'd get that tickle in my throat that just wouldn't go away.  I didn't get much sleep, but when my alarm went off I figured since the swim was so close to home and would only last about an hour I'd get up and give it shot.  About ten minutes before I was set to leave, I had another coughing fit - the worst yet.  I was coughing so hard, I nearly threw up.  Sorry - TMI!  When it finally stopped, I was wiped out.  I realized between the lack of sleep and the coughing, I just didn't have the energy for the swim.  Plus I was worried I'd get out into the water and the coughing would start again.

Instead I decided to just pop an allergy pill and go back to bed.  I was disappointed, and I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to do any of my workouts this weekend - or I'd have to do them at the gym.  I'd never taken anything for allergies before, and was worried I'd be a zombie all weekend.  But when I woke up a little later, I felt much better.

Since I'd already pulled out my wetsuit, I decided I'd at least practice getting in and out of it.  With the right amount of tri-slide, it's not bad at all!

By Saturday afternoon, I felt good enough to tackle a run.  I loaded up with water, tissues, and cough drops.  Turns out I only needed the water.  It was a beautiful day and the miles went by quickly.  I felt strong and happy to be out there.

Sunday morning I was prepared for the pollen.  I woke up and popped that allergy pill right away.  I had a big breakfast with the husband, then headed out for a bike ride along the Bay Trail.

Apologies to my East Coast friends who got snowed on this morning.
The trail wasn't very crowded and I was able to get in a good ride for just over an hour.  It was the perfect day to ride.

Blue skies and calm water behind me.
I'm so happy that I was able to turn things around and get my workouts done.  With just barely over a month until my first triathlon, I can't afford to miss any.  Thanks to Claritin for saving my weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment