Thursday, March 21, 2013

This is Getting More and More Real

I joined the Silicon Valley Triathlon Club (SVTC) this year in the hope of getting some guidance.  They have a New to the Sport (NTTS) program that is pretty much exactly what it's called - organized weekend workouts for newbies like me.  I made it to my first workout with them this past Saturday and all I can say is OMG!  These people are serious!

We did a continuous brick workout which consisted of a 1k run followed by a 3m bike.  We did this four time continuously with no breaks.  It was hard, but it was exactly the kind of ass kicking I needed to prepare me for what I'm attempting to do.  I know that I don't push myself as hard when I'm alone as I do when I workout with a group, so I'm going to try to make it to as many of these group workouts as I can.  Next up with the NTTS group, and open water swim on Saturday!  I get to wear my new wetsuit again.

And speaking of things getting real, I've been thinking about what I'm going to wear for my first triathlon in April.  I've got a couple of pairs of tri shorts and one tri top.  Since it's a pool swim, I won't need my wetsuit.  Of course, this has brought thoughts to mind like, "What if I'm swimming and my shorts fall down?"  Or, "What if my shirt starts riding up and my belly is hanging out?"  Don't ask me where these thoughts come from...it's just how my mind works sometime.

I've been spending a little too much time doing some online "browsing" lately, which led to a little online shopping.  I found a website called Chainlove (chainlove.com) that sells bike stuff at deep discounts.  The website offers one deal at a time for a limited amount of time (usually 15 minutes) or until that item sells out.  I picked up a couple of bike jerseys on the cheap when I started the Cinderella training.

Lately they have been offering some tri gear as well.  For example, last week they were selling ladies one-piece 2XU tri suits for some ridiculous price.  And while I didn't like the look of what they were offering, it gave me an idea.  If I could find a tri suit on sale, I could wear that for my first tri instead of the top/bottom combo.  So a little more online browsing led me to this.

Online shopping score!
It's a Zoot tri suit, found in my size online for only $42!  That's less than what I could pay for a good pair of tri shorts.

Fits perfectly.
I love the way it fits.  No more shirt riding up.  No more worrying about my shorts falling down.  The only downside is that you pretty much have to strip naked to use the bathroom...but for a short sprint tri it should work just fine.

So it seems like with this new sport I'm acquiring more and more gear.  I've done a couple of duathlons where I had to bring a few things to transition from bike to run - helmet, shoes, etc. - and could never find the right solution for carrying it all.  Add in a swim, and there is even more stuff.  Luckily people have been doing this triathlon thing long before me, and the triathlon transition bag has been created.  And lucky for me,  I found a Louis Garneau bag for only $50 - that's about half price.

This thing holds everything.
This bag looks small, but it really can hold a lot of stuff - they have thought of it all.  A compartment for your wetsuit after the swim; straps to hold you bike and run shoes in place; a spot for your helmet; room for nutrition and water bottles.  It's amazing how much stuff can fit in here.

So now I think I have pretty much everything I need to get me through this - my first - triathlon season.  There are a few things on my "want" list (like new bike shoes), but nothing that I absolutely feel like I need.  So could someone please hide my credit card from me?

1 comment: