Monday, February 18, 2013

Something Had to Give

I've spent four Saturdays in a row getting up early to ride my bike with a training group in preparation of my first metric century.  I've also been working hard on improving my swimming and training for my first triathlon.  Add to that work, family, Sharks games, and life in general...and I was near my breaking point.

I can give you a dozen reasons or excuses as to why I decided to drop out of the metric century bike ride, but it comes down to the fact that I wasn't enjoying it as much as I wanted to. It wasn't an easy decision, and I'm still going back and forth as to whether I made the right choice.  But I can say with certainty that I did not regret it this past Saturday morning when I didn't join the club for a training ride.

I guess it came down to realizing my limits and what I am and am not willing to do.  I can't sign up for more than one event at a time - which means I'm going to have to decide which triathlon to do later this year and which half marathon I want to do.  I'm not willing to sign up for training that requires me to be somewhere at a certain time every week - I can normally hit all of my workouts during the week, but I need to have the flexibility to move them around or do them at a time of day that works for me.  And I now know that I'm not willing to devote half of a day to training for anything!

With my Saturday morning suddenly free, I wound up going for a hike with my friend and her dog.  We went up and down the surrounding hills for about 90 minutes.  We came across some interesting wood formations.

Looks like someone was planning on a bonfire.
View from near the top.
Layla could have hiked all day - endless energy!
Sunday was a day of catching up - with all of the training and other things Dan & I have had going on, our house was resembling something of a war zone.  I got a lot of chores accomplished in the morning and now will not die of embarrassment if someone unexpectedly stopps by.  As a reward for a day of being productive around the house, we went out to dinner.

Peach Lemondrops are amazing!
Thanks to the holiday weekend, we had another day off today.  Today was the day I've been longing for for months.  Slept late, had a big breakfast, got back in the pool for a relaxing swim, had a nap, did some errands.  

It was such a great weekend.  I think Dan & I spent more time together than we have in months.  And I was able to get caught up on enough things that I feel ready to get back to work and training tomorrow feeling rested and relaxed.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you aren't doing the Cinderella ride. It is for sure a balancing act, especially with triathlon to get it all in! Can't wait to do Moraga with you!

    ReplyDelete