Saturday, January 5, 2013

Brazen New Year's Day 5k

My husband & I normally don't do anything too crazy on New Year's Eve.  I spent years working in the bar & restaurant industry, so I know what it's like out there.  So I thought it would be a pretty safe bet for me to sign up for a 5k on New Year's Day.

We did wind up going out for a very brief time on New Year's Eve but we were home by 7:30 and I was in bed by 9:30.  Unfortunately someone in the neighborhood decided to set off fireworks at midnight, which led to a barking fit by Emma.  Once we got her settled back down, I tossed and turned in bed until at least 1:30 am, at which point I decided to turn off my alarm clock.  I figured I'd be tired and wouldn't mind sleeping in on New Year's Day so I decided to bag the race.

I don't know why, but even with that fitful night of sleep I woke up at 7:10 am.  I laid in bed doing the math, and figured since I had just been to this race site three days before, I was going to go for it.  I knew the parking situation, the packet pick up situation, the bathroom situation, and the course.  I knew I'd regret it if I didn't go, so I quickly got dressed and headed out.

I got there in plenty of time, got my packet, and watched the half marathoners head out.

It was much colder than I expected.

A few minutes later the 10k group headed out and it was time for me to line up with the 5k group.  Since I wasn't feeling well rested and my legs were still protesting the 10k from Saturday, I decided to line up towards the back of the pack.  We counted down and off we went.

Lots of families out there.

I walked for the first five minutes and then switched to 3:1 run/walk intervals.  I was glad that I had done the 10k on Saturday because I was prepared for how hilly the course was going to be.

A bright sunny morning.

I wound up walking some of the uphills on the way back.  I'd never done a 10k and a 5k so close together - particularly on such a hilly course - so my legs were really feeling it.  And I was so happy that I only planned on the 5k that morning.

Sprinting towards the finish.
It was not one of my faster races by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm so glad I decided to do it.  It was such a fun atmosphere.  There were tons of families and everyone seemed so happy to be out there even if it was freezing cold.

The bling!
Because I had done both the New Years Eve and the New Years Day event, I received a special finishers medal.  What a great way to kick of 2013!  I think this is going to be an incredible year!



No comments:

Post a Comment