Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Weighty Issue

Happy holidays to everyone out there in blogger-land!

This time of year is full of opportunities for extra eating and drinking - more social events, big holiday dinners, that special package that my mother-in-law sends us every year, cookies and candy at work.  It's no wonder that people tend to pack on a few extra pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day.

But my issue seems to be that I've packed on those extra pounds from Thanksgiving 2008 through now.  Starting in early 2009, I've had a rough couple of years - I was laid off, had some health issues, found a job that I was incredibly unhappy at, lost my dog of 13 years, adopted and lost another dog after only two months.  You get the picture.  These are things that can happen to any and all of us at any time, but I felt like bad things were happening to me one after the other.

Zack - my first dog ever and the one who will always have my heart.
And so I ate...and drank.  "I lost my job, so I might as well have a few cocktails."  "I hate my new job, so I might as well go out and have something good (usually high fat/calorie) for lunch since it will be the bright spot of my day." "My dog died, so I deserve ice cream."

Things have (thankfully!) turned around for me over the past year or so.  I've got a great job at a company I love.  I have an awesome dog who is the cutest thing I've ever seen and who makes me laugh every day.  My health issues have been resolved.

Emma - the current resident Princess Pup.
The problem is, I haven't stopped with these bad eating or drinking habits.  I still enjoy a couple of cocktails or a few beers on the weekend - especially if I've worked out hard that day.  I'm still eating candy on an almost daily basis.  And it has really caught up with me.

And now, it's time for it to stop.  This is not an early New Year's Resolution.  It's simply a fact.  So I'm putting it out there in blog land in an effort to make myself more accountable.

Goodbye Swedish Fish - we will not be seeing each other so often.

I will change my eating habits. I will do strength training on a more consistent basis.  I will fit back into those smaller size jeans!  I'm not putting a deadline on this, because losing the amount of fat that I want to lose will take some time.  Yes, I want to lose fat, not necessarily weight.  I'm not going to obsess about the number on the scale - I'll pay more attention to how my clothes are fitting.  I'd be perfectly fine if the number on the scale stays the same but I fit into jeans two sizes smaller, because that would mean that I have lost fat and become stronger.

And I know I can do this.  Because it's time.  And because I really, really want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment