Friday, November 16, 2012

Where have I been?

I've been a bad blogger...missing in action.  I wish I could say I was off having incredibly fun adventures, but the truth is that I just haven't had much to blog about for a bit, and then when I did have a race report to write I didn't have time.

So let's just say the last couple of weeks have gone something like this...battle a cold, do a 5k, work, take dog to vet, workout.

I guess the only thing you probably want to hear about is the 5k so here it is.  The Mermaid 5k was in San Francisco this past Saturday.  I've done the 5k a few times and the 10k once.  The Mermaid Series is an all women's group of triathlons, duathlons, and running events.  (I'm sure you could participate if you were a man, but I've never seen a man compete there.)  They also sponsor a "Mini Mermaids" program which introduces young girls to running.  The girls (ages 6-12) train with a volunteer coach and work their way up to running a 5k.  Pretty cool!

I had a couple of friends who were going to be there and it's a nice flat course with beautiful scenery so I decided to sign up again.  Sorry, no pictures of the scenery.  I can't run with a camera.  I texted Christina when I got there and she was just arriving, too.  I easily found Meredith.  She was coaching a group of Mini Mermaids, so I just looked for the little girls and she was among them.

Me and Christina "before"
Since Meredith had her hands full, Christina and I decided to check out gear and head out for a little warm up.  It started off freezing but by the time we warmed up it had turned into a beautiful day - sunny and not hot, perfect running weather.

Christina & I lined up in the middle of the pack and off we went.  It was a pretty uneventful run for me.  I stuck with my 3:1 run/walk intervals.  I felt good the entire time and even had a little left in the tank to sprint to the finish - as much as sprinting was possible.  The finish chute goes in a U-shape over grass, so it's tough to get a good sprint going.  I finished with a time of 38:39 - not a PR but more than a minute faster than this event last year.  I was happy with my time considering I had spent the week battling a cold.

Christina, me, and Meredith "after"
I've got another swim lesson next week, and another 5k on the calendar next month.  And I'm still considering jumping into a Turkey Trot 5k.


1 comment:

  1. Come do the Turkey Trot in Walnut Creek with us! Of course there is probably one closer to home ;)

    ReplyDelete