Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thankfulness - Better Late Than Never

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, but I think I was a little too stressed out preparing to host 10 people for dinner last week that I didn't really take the time to be thankful.  But it seems to be coming at me this week whether I'm looking for it or not.

Last night I was very thankful for my swimming breakthrough.  Tonight I was feeling very thankful for this overpass.

My overpass - picture from a bike ride last Christmas Eve.
That picture is an pedestrian/bicycle overpass that was recently built - I don't think it's even been two years since they finished it.  It is only a few blocks from my house and leads over the freeway to the Bay Trail.  And before you get to the trail, just at the bottom of the bridge you encounter this.

The baseball / soccer field
Just over the overpass is this sports complex.  The above picture is only about half of the main field.  Tonight - and most nights I've recently discovered - there were three different teams holding soccer practice.  This means the field is lit up like Broadway.

Why am I so thankful for the overpass that leads to this field?  I typically run outside after work.  And now it's dark by the time I get home from work.  But I can now run from my front door to the overpass and down to this field.  I can do laps around the field and feel safe because there are a ton of people around - coaches, kids playing soccer, the field staff, parents waiting for their kids - and it's incredibly bright.  I also only have to cross one small street to get there, so I don't have to worry about dodging cars.  I was able to get in three miles tonight from my front door with a few laps around the field.

It's the little things...

1 comment:

  1. That's great! I have to say I kind of miss the night running I was able to do last year when the hubby was off for 6 weeks. My headlamp is my favorite running gadget :)

    ReplyDelete