Monday, November 26, 2012

Let Me Set the Scene...

It was a cold night.  Steam was coming off the pools.  It was the first time I had gone for a swim when there was actually steam.

I wasn't in the best of moods when I arrived at the gym.  I was tired after the first day back at work after the long weekend.  I really wanted to just go home from work but I had packed my swim bag and put it in the car last night.  Apparently that strategy worked...this time.

I did a little warm up - a few 25s, 50 with a kickboard.  It was at this point while I was catching my breath at the wall that the man in the next lane pointed out the moon.  It was almost full - just a little sliver missing - and it was such a clear night that we had a spectacular view of it from up on the hill.

It looked something like this.














I set off for another 25.  I got to the wall and instead of stopping, I turned around and kept going.  Usually about halfway back I run out breath and need to stop or switch to a different stroke.  But tonight it was like magic.  I just kept going.  Before I knew it, I was at the wall.  I had done 50 yards of freestyle without stopping.

I must have had a look of shock on my face.  As I hung there catching my breath, I decided I would try it again to see if it was a fluke.  It wasn't.  So I thought I'd go again, just to be absolutely sure.  I am now absolutely sure.

I did 50 yards of freestyle without stopping tonight...not once, not twice, but three times!!!  I guess that means I can really do this!

It is so nice to finally have some measurable progress in my swimming.  I know 50 yards doesn't seem like much, but for someone who couldn't really swim just a few months ago 50 yards is huge.  HUGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment