Friday, October 26, 2012

Progress

Last night I went to the pool for a swim session.  When I say session, I mean swimming back and forth across the pool in between hanging on the wall catching my breath - no fancy sets or drills for me yet.  I'm still trying to get the hang of this whole being in water thing.

My attitude wasn't the best when I got there - it was cold, I was tired, and I really just wanted to be home watching the Giants game.  My goal was to be able to swim 50 yards of freestyle without stopping.  I can do 50 yards, but it's typically something like 35 freestyle and then 15 jungle crawl because I feel like I need more air.  Last night was no different and I left the pool feeling incredibly frustrated and defeated.

But something happened on the way home.  I don't know why, but my thinking shifted from, "I am the worst swimmer in the world.  I'm never going to be able to do a triathlon," to "I think I've made some pretty decent progress in a month.  I can't wait to see how far I can go by the end of the year."

See, here's the thing.  I took a group swimming class in the spring but didn't get the one-on-one attention I needed.  Then I didn't swim for most of the summer because I was training for my duathlon.  So I would say that I really didn't start swimming until my first private lesson on September 26.  That was only one month ago, and I've only taken two lessons total.  Since then, I've been making an effort to get to the pool twice a week.  And now I can comfortably swim freestyle 25 yards - one length of the pool.  And I used to have to rest for a minute in between each 25.  Now I only rest 15-30 seconds.  It may not sound like much, but considering I have absolutely no background in swimming, I'll take it!

I'm making progress, not just with my swimming but with my way of thinking, too.







1 comment:

  1. It gets easier I promise! Sometimes I surprise myself when just out of habit I want to take a break, but realize I don't actually need one! You'll get there, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete