Monday, September 3, 2012

Here we go!


My first foray into blogland…where to begin?  I guess I just figured this would be a good place to keep track of my thoughts, my crazy ideas, and my progress..my online journal of sorts.

So…a little about me.  I’ve been playing golf for about a dozen years or so.  Compared to the pros, I’m a hack.  Compared to a lot of weekend golfers, I like to think I’m not half bad.  I don’t hit the ball long, but I’m consistent.  I shot a 101 at Metropolitan yesterday and I was pretty happy with that score since I haven’t played in a few weeks.  31 putts – pretty good!

I started running about 5 years ago.  I started by following the Couch to 5k program, and have since completed numerous 5ks and 10k, plus three half marathons.  The problem is, my hip gets a bit cranky when I up the mileage to longer distances.  Because of my cranky hip, I’ve taken to the run/walk method of running.  That seems to help, too.

About three years ago I bought a bike and ventured into the world of duathlon.  I’m participating in the See Jane Run Duathlon in a few weeks, so these days I’m focusing most of my training efforts on getting ready for that.  I’ve had an on and off relationship with my bike for the past three years, but I joined a gym in January and have gotten hooked on spinning classes.  All of that spinning has really helped my cycling, so my relationship with my bike is definitely in the “on” stage these days.



Since I’ve already got a pretty good handle on the biking and running, why not throw in a little swimming, too, and go for a triathlon?  The idea of a triathlon interests me because I get really bored if I have to do the same workout every day.  Triathlon kind of appeals to my exercise ADD.  The only problem is, I am a horrible swimmer.  I mean, if you push me into the pool I’m not going to drown.  But I can barely do one lap of freestyle without feeling totally gassed.  But I’m working on it.  My goal is to do my first triathlon next spring/summer so I’ve got some time.

So here is where I’m going to rant (hopefully not too often) and rave (hopefully regularly) about my training and progress.  If anyone is reading, I hope you enjoy my ramblings!





No comments:

Post a Comment